Re: [Phys-l] Neutrinos going faster than speed of light?

On Sep 27, 2011, at 11:10 PM, Spinozalens@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 9/26/2011 6:24:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bnettles@uu.edu writes:

Two statements concern me. "Mesons decay in flight into neutrinos in a
1000 m long vacuum tunnel.” At the top of page 5. Then, "The point where the
parent meson produces a neutrino in the decay tunnel is unknown.
However, this introduces a negligible inaccuracy in the neutrino time of
flight measurement,
because the produced mesons are also travelling with nearly the speed of
light." I don't completely follow their subsequent argument as to why this
1000 m distance produces "negligible inaccuracy." The "superluminal"
neutrinos could be produced anywhere in that 1000 m, and the superluminal
distance delta is only 20 m. I follow their timing method, somewhat, but this
1000 m decay tube is bothersome.

Howdy,

Assuming the time stamp is set at the moment the pulse enters the vacuum tunnel wouldn't this actually give a systematic tail towards LONGER time (and therefore lower neutrino speed) to get to the detector. Since the meson is travelling at a sub-luminal speed before decay the fact that it decays downstream would enlarge the time span between the pulse being generated and the neutrino getting detected.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)