Re: [Phys-l] singing rods

On 09/06/2011 08:20 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:
Which has lower loss 6063, 6061, or 2024? Tthese are in "strength" reverse order.

And what about the forming (cold vs. hot extrusion, etc.).

That's an interesting question. Very tricky. I'm not an
expert, but the last time I checked, internal damping was
not closely related to the normal specifications of the
material (such as hardness and "strength"). The relationship
is not even monotonic:
-- Some very hard "dirty" alloy materials have very low
internal damping (all the dislocations are pinned).
-- Some very pure materials have very low internal
damping also (no dislocations to begin with). The
last I heard, the world record for highest-Q
mechanical oscillator was a piece of single-
crystal silicon.

It's a perennial favorite term-paper topic: Find out
what there is to know about high-Q mechanical oscillators.
It's right up there with magnetic monopoles.

If I were shopping for a singing rod, I would go down to
the shop and test whatever rods were on hand, then buy
whichever worked best.

experimentally

Yes.