Re: [Phys-l] Bad physics? coupled oscillations

On 2011, Sep 06, , at 11:37, curtis osterhoudt wrote:

One can also drive (via other methods) the organ-pipe modes of the air column (not sure about the 9th or 18th one!), and show that they don't couple well or at all to the rod's motion.

Shown experimentally or by theory.? (poor coupling)

It just occurred to me to "do" the experiment -- generally available is 6063 in rod and tube (or pipe). for the comparison, I suppose I should have thick wall and same diameter? Which has lower loss 6063, 6061, or 2024? Tthese are in "strength" reverse order.

And what about the forming (cold vs. hot extrusion, etc.).

I note 2024 has high fatigue resistance -- does this mean it will make a high Q "cavity"? 7075 is also a high strength Al alloy.

I find available rod and tube in T52 temper (6063) (the only from On Line Metals)

http://www.onlinemetals.com/alloycat.cfm?alloy=6063

bc needs more hint than just "symmetry arguments" for weak coupling.