Re: [Phys-l] Another alternative theory horror

On 2011, Aug 30, , at 16:25, John Clement wrote:

I would be fairly careful about mentioning the "gill stage". This comes
from the long discredited Haekel theory. There are some similarities in
structures in early embryonic development, but these similarities diverge
with time. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recapitulation_theory

Recapitulation theory is a hot button item with anti-evolutionists because
Haekel "simplified" or "prettied" his pictures and they ignore differences
between various species embryos. These erroneous pictures have been used in
many biology texts and anti-evolutionists claim that this discredits
evolution. But Darwin's view of embryonic development is closer to the
modern view. In either case Haekel's view is not really important to the
modern evolutionary model.

coincidence. I'm just at that section in "Corrupted Science" (John Grant).

Grant also claims that both Galileo and Newton did a bit of fudging.

bc

"Michael Richardson happened to notice that a particular diagram by Haeckel seemed curiously , well wrong."

Corrupted Science: Fraud, Ideology and Politics in Science by John Grant - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists