Re: [Phys-l] plastic lens scratch repair?

On 08/23/2011 12:27 PM, I wrote:

I have a cell phone with a built-in camera. I rarely use the camera,
but when I want to use it I really want to use it, and I want it to
work. Alas the thing has lived in a pocket so long that the lens is
scratched. The scratches are numerous but not deep.

I figured it out. Plastic tape!

I used a tiny piece of Scotch Shipping Packaging Tape.
You tell by looking at the roll that the tape is very
clear. The adhesive is thick enough to totally fill
the scratches. It appears to be a perfect index match
to the plastic lens. The improvement is tremendous.
It saves me the cost (and hassle!) of buying a new
phone.

If the tape gets scratched I can replace it in a few
seconds. I reckon it is guaranteed to not make the
situation worse.