Re: [Phys-l] Law suit over controversial teache 'corbett' inCapistrano

Yes, it threw out the suit on technical grounds that there were no
precedents to go by. But the ABC comment that the previous ruling was a
victory for the student is very misleading because only one claim out of
some 20 odd were upheld, and the idea that evolution was a religion was
firmly denied. The vast majority of news reports about the 2009 court case
called it a win for the teacher, except for FOX which is now apparently
ignoring the recent ruling which is an unqualified win for the teacher.

The NYTimes and Washington Post also apparently ignored the series of
stories from the beginning, apparently considering it to be too local to
bother with.

I suspect the Supreme Court might just decline to review it.

There is certainly a question of how sensitive teachers have to be to
students, but I would say that calling creationism non science or
nonsensical from the point of view of science is not anything that should be
considered controversial or objectionable. The rest of the teacher's
comments were from what I could see reasonable, but maybe couched in an
inflammatory fashion. The teacher said that European peasants strong
religious beliefs prevented them from advancement. Well of course. If you
believe that the social order is divinely ordained, you will stay oppressed.
The only win in the original suit was probably because of the word
superstition, but I can't be sure.

Actually some religious educators have said that children have to have
challenges to their religious beliefs in order to develop mature beliefs.
This teacher was certainly challenging the students.

If the flap over evolution is to go away, the thinking conservatives need to
come down hard on the anti-science media and commentators such as FOX and
candidates like Bachman and Perry. But at present the unthinking
conservatives are allowed to have the illusion that the anti-science
rhetoric is OK. A hard anti-science president can appoint people who will
try to inject anti-science attitudes into education. This happened in TX
because every head of the TX board of education appointed by Perry was a
creationist and even sent other board members creationist literature, while
forbidding staff members from publicizing lectures on evolution.

Then of course comments like Perry's that creationism is taught in TX
schools is saying that he is defying the US constitution. This is just
encouraging more than the current estimated 13% of teachers to teach
creationism. And also there will be more money wasting suits. Admiring his
economics is one thing, but make it clear that he is dead wrong on science.
Surely there are conservative candidates that can be supported who are not
scientific idiots. If you don't believe that biology teachers are
intimidated by creationists I knew one who was teaching in a Catholic school
who soft peddled evolution, and I know a community college geology teacher
who didn't believe in evolution. Catholic nuns teach evolution correctly,
and the geologist at least taught geology correctly. Curiously Moslems have
no problems with geology, but some are creationists. I also know a physics
teacher who disbelieves evolution. I would say only in TX, but it is
actually all over.

No European or far Eastern country would allow teachers to espouse
creationism in the school. Only in the Middle East would it be allowed.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_co
unty&id=8316780
The court ruling did not go into 'Constitutionality' it seems.