Re: [Phys-l] Bonds, energy; formerly: More Stupidity in state exams

Sadly, I think a large part of the problem is textbooks. My department (h.s.) has had this conversation roughly every time we hire someone new. I would like to believe that everyone knew this at some point, but has forgotten details throughout their life (that's my story anyway).
Examples of issues we've faced:
The hs bio & freshman college bio books state energy is stored in bonds. These same bio books state covalent bonds are stronger than ionic bonds. The bio books mention h-bonds but don't really discuss then in a way other than handwaving "these bonds are used in cases xyz" and maybe ab effort to rank their strength in comparison to ionic and covalent bonds. Unfortunately, the 3 bond types are compared as categories and aren't typically looked at with any level I'd specificity.
The chem books rank the bind strengths differently. Ionic bonds are suddenly stronger than covalent. This is the reverse of the bio books.
It creates confusion among students and the staff teaching those courses.

Paul Lulai
Physics Teacher
St Anthony Village Senior High
3303 33rd Ave