[Phys-l] Schooling or Education?

Schools That Educate for Compliance and Not for Democracy. Upon accepting the New York City Teacher of the Year Award on January 31, 1990, John Taylor Gatto upset many in attendance by stating: “The truth is that schools don’t really teach anything except how to obey orders. This is a great mystery to me because thousands of humane, caring people work in schools as teachers and aides and administrators, but the abstract logic of the institution overwhelms their individual contributions.” . . .

Shaming Young People Who Take Education­But Not Their Schooling­Seriously. In a 2006 survey in the United States, it was found that 40 percent of children between first and third grade read every day, but by fourth grade, that rate declined to 29 percent. Despite the anti-educational impact of standard schools, children and their parents are increasingly propagandized to believe that disliking school means disliking learning. . .

8 Ways Young Americans’ Resistance to Domination Has Been Subdued

bc

p.s. and again:

*"We regard it as a wise and liberal system of police, by which property, and life, and the peace of society are secured."
Education, Daniel Webster 1782

Many here:

Quotes on Education.