Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:26 PM
To: 'Forum for Physics Educators'
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] it's a dry heat

Bob at PC, I'm sure I'm showing my ignorance of AC's, but I thought the biggest benefit of "air conditioners" was the ability to dehumidify the air without the added heat of the mechanism; as in a regular room dehumidifier. This indicates to me that the Nevada "dry heat" simply could not be "dried" any further and you were faced with a limited amount of cooling from the heat "exchange" to the exterior since the sun is so unforgiving out that way.

Or do I have it backwards: the cooling of the AC CAUSES the dry air?

Daryl L Taylor, Fizzix & Astronomy Guy
Greenwich HS, CT