Re: [Phys-l] Lecture Isn't Effective: More Evidence #2

The problem we encounter is a lack of transfer of skills. I have students
who got As and Bs in English Comp. but their writing is still abysmal in
their first few lab reports. If we want to get them to understand that
writing is a skill that is used everywhere, we must make them use it
everywhere. I recommend to you the books by William Zinsser and the idea
of "Writing Across the Curriculum" when it is done in earnest and with
purpose.

Peter Schoch

I strongly differ from Mike ob tge subject of writing lab reports.. Note
that there were no lab reports required in my "discussion lab"
modifications of Hake's "Socratic Dialogue" labs, nor in the originals.
The reason is that lab reports, or articles describing lboratory results,
are almost uniformly baaad, in the sense of being almost unreadabble. As
evidence, I offer almost any issue of either Nature, of its unfortunate
sister, Cience. A readable lab report tells a story, hopefully in an
interesting way. Preparation for thi kind of writing occurs in classes
devoted to composition and creative writing.
The typical industrial or governmaental lab report is an
abomination that should exist only to exemplify bad writing habits.
Regrds,
Jack