Re: [Phys-l] A Question: Where Does Current Reform Come From? #2

Some subscribers to Phys-Lmight be interested in a discussion-list post "Re: A Question: Where Does Current Reform Come From? #2 " [Hake (2011b)].

The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: In response to my post "Re: A Question: Where Does Current Reform Come From?" Baker Mitchell of the SClistserv list wrote (paraphrasing): "We are in danger of getting tangled in nomenclature. . . there is a body of practice known as 'Direct Instruction' (big D, big I) that is based in large part on interactive engagement (little i, little e) and enjoys great success in its teaching."

That we "are in danger of getting tangled in nomenclature" is the theme of my article "Language Ambiguities in Education Research" [Hake (2008)] at <http://bit.ly/bHTebD>, rejected by the insular editors of the "Journal of Learning Sciences."

I stress the fact that the *operational definitions" provide a means of avoiding nomenclatural entanglement by language ambiguities.

To access the complete 13 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/kj94oT>.
Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the
Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII)
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com>
<http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>

"When we say force. . . [[or Direct Instruction]].. . . is the cause of motion. . . .[[or learning]]. . . . we talk metaphysics, and this definition, if we were content with it, would be absolutely sterile. For a definition to be of any use, it must teach us to measure force . . . .[[or Direct Instruction]]. . . ; moreover, that suffices; it is not at all necessary that it teach us what force. . . [[or Direct Instruction]]. . . . is in itself, nor whether it is the cause or the effect of motion. . . .[[or learning]]. . . ."
Henri Poincare (1905)

REFERENCES [URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 28 June 2011.]

Hake, R.R. 2011a. ""Re: A Question: Where Does Current Reform Come From? " AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/iHzGwm>. Post of 26 Jun 2011 15:07:50-0700 to Math-Teach, AERA-L, and NetGold. The abstract and link to the complete 19 kB post are being transmitted to various discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/izN28y> with a provision for comments.

Hake, R.R. 2011b. "Re: A Question: Where Does Current Reform Come From? #2," on the OPEN! " AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/kj94oT>. Post of 28 Jun 2011 15:29:54 -0700 to SClistserv, AERA-L, and NetGold. The abstract and link to the complete 13 kB post are being transmitted to various discussion lists, and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/jc5p3J > with a provision for comments.