Re: [Phys-l] Gibbs paradox (redux)

On 06/26/2011 03:09 PM, Carl Mungan wrote:
By dividing the glass of milk into 2 equal portions, I seem to
have decreased the entropy of the system. This seems like a
strange result: where is corresponding gain of entropy in the
surroundings to ensure the 2nd law is not violated?

Perhaps it would help to start with chocolate milk on one side and
white milk laced with radioactive cesium on the other. Remove the
partition. Observe the mixing. Re-insert the partition.
Unmixing does not occur.

I accept what you say for chocolate and white milk. Also for the
cards.

:-)

But I'm still stuck on what happens with just a glass of milk. My
problem is that *macroscopically* I can't tell any difference between
two half glasses of milk and one full glass of milk, in contrast to
the case of chocolate and white where I can see the color gradations.
Shouldn't there be some *macroscopically measurable* evidence of a
change in entropy?

Again Carl gets the prize for asking the incisive question.

The short answer is no, you can't generally tell by macroscopic
measurements whether something irreversible is happening ...
but there is much more to the story than that.

I need to amend and extend the answer I gave to the question that
was asked yesterday about the entropy of mixing. Let's again use
the deck-of-cards model system. I'm pretty sure it is a faithful
model of the milk.

a) Suppose I have three cards, namely the deuce, trey, and four of
clubs. I shuffle these three cards. That gives 2.6 bits of entropy,
i.e. log2(3 factorial).

Let's call this the entropy of permutation of the hand. For some
purposes we could consider this "the" entropy, but not for all purposes.
We must keep in mind that it is a conditional entropy, conditioned
on knowing *which* three cards are in the hand.

b) If I shuffle a new deck and deal three cards at random, in some sense
there is about 17 bits of entropy in that event, which breaks down as
14.4 bits associated with which cards got dealt, and the aforementioned
2.6 bits associated with the order in which they were dealt.

Note the total -- i.e. 17 bits -- is explained as log2(52*51*50).

This tells us that the lion's share of the entropy is not the
entropy of permutation within the hand, but rather the entropy of
*which* cards were dealt into the hand. I call this "the entropy
of the deal".

The entropy of the deal, by definition, does not include the
entropy of permutation within the sample.

Now, for a sample of helium, the usual calculation for the entropy
rightly ignores the entropy of the deal because all helium atoms
are identical. The entropy of the deal is zero. We calculate
then entropy within the "hand" (within the sample) and rightly
call it quits at that point.

In contrast, for the milk, a proper accounting of the absolute entropy
must account for the entropy of the deal. If we don't do this, we are
only calculating a conditional entropy, conditioned on knowing *which*
globules got dealt into that sample of milk.

The formulas I gave yesterday did not include the entropy of the
deal, and therefore must be considered incomplete.

There are two scenarios:

a) We deal out two samples of milk. In each sample, the lion's share
of the entropy is the entropy of the deal. We don't peek at samples.
By that I mean we do not scrutinize or measure them in any way.
That is, we do not collect any information that would reduce the
entropy.

We pull out the partition. The samples mix. We put the partition
back in. Unlike the scenario I considered yesterday, in this scenario
the entropy does not increase. Both samples were in a maximum entropy
to begin with, so the mixing could not possibly increase the entropy.
All we have done is re-deal the globules in a slightly complicated
and peculiar way. Re-inserting the partition has no effect.

If we replace the samples of milk by hands of three cards, the total
entropy of the joint system would be 33.8 bits, i.e. log2(52*2*50*49*48*47).
This would be the entropy before and after mixing.

b) Same as above, except that we peek at each of the samples before
mixing. This reduces the entropy to zero temporarily.

Then we wait a little while, to allow permutation of the globules
within each sample. The entropy rises until it equals the entropy
of permutation within the sample. This is the entropy given by
my formulas yesterday. For cards, this would be the aforementioned
2.6 bits per hand, for a system-wide total of 5.2 bits ... much less
than the entropy in scenario (a).

If we now mix the two samples, the entropy goes up. This is wildly
different from what happened in scenario (a). This is the scenaroio
I considered yesterday. For three-card hands, the entropy is now
9.5 bits, i.e. log2(6 factorial). It's not any larger than that,
because we know *which* six cards are involved, because we peeked.
Peeking zeroed out the entropy of the deal.

FWIW I suspect that tagging one sample of milk with chocolate could
be considered a "weak peek" ... in the sense that it allows us to
look at the milk and get some partial information about it.

Bottom line: I reckon that the original question from yesterday
was to some degree underspecified. As a result, my original
answer was, alas, incomplete ... which I did not realize until
the follow-up question called attention to it.

Depending on heretofore-unspecified details of how the milk
samples are handled before mixing, the entropy of mixing
could be zero or distinctly nonzero. That's because the
entropy of deal the could be zero or could be completely
dominant.