Re: [Phys-l] Gibbs paradox (redux)

On 6/26/2011 5:09 PM, Carl Mungan wrote:
/snip/ Would anything change if we could somehow manufacture milk with *exactly* identical globules? (Okay, we surely couldn't do this with milk. So maybe I instead manufacture macroscopically small but microscopically large - mesoscopically sized? - metal balls and suspend them in some suitable - preferably dense - solvent.) I'm thinking that as long as the particles are large compared to their thermal de Broglie wavelengths then they are classical, whether exactly identical or not. Would exact identicality suddenly make the particles indistinguishable instead of distinguishable? I'm thinking not for large enough particles, but am willing to be open minded if you can give me a good reason.
Thanks for bearing with me and for the discussion so far; it has helped clarify my puzzlement about Gibbs paradox. -Carl

Interesting thought about partitioning particles. The smaller the compartment in which one imprisons a particle, the more sure the position certainty about that particle, I imagine? So a million partitions, a billion partitions imply knowing a number of spatial coordinates; valuable knowledge, on might suppose?

Brian W