From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Bernard
Cleyet
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2011 11:30 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] solenoidal and cylindrical EM sourced magnetic fields.

On 2011, Jun 09, , at 07:11, Moses Fayngold wrote:

Bernard Cleyet wrote on Mon, June 6, 2011 2:22:13 PM:

Am I correct? The field from a solenoid is the same as that of a dipole
and on
axis ~ 1/r^3. (1)
Using a field calculator (2) I found (far field) the on axis field of a
cylindrical magnet ~ 1/r^2. Is this correct, and if so, would a
cylindrical
coil be a correct model?

(1) the last equation of Magnetic Fields due to a Solenoid
(2) K&J Magnetics - Magnetic Field Calculator

The far field from of a cylindrical magnet must be the same as that of a
solenoid or just of a current loop, B ~1/r^3. In none of these cases can
it fall
off with distance as ~1/r^2. The latter would be characteristic of a
hypothetical isolated magnetic charge (monopole), but not of the known
sources
of a time-independent magnetic field. I do not know what could have
caused the
result that you report. It might come from a computational error or some
erroneous initial expression in the input.

Moses Fayngold,
NJIT

Mmmmm --

did my links work?

The K&J again -- I plotted the far field result and it fitted the 1/r^2 ver
well.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/fieldcalculator.asp

bc puzzled

p.s. So a solid coil, i.e. not a solenoid has the same field?