Re: [Phys-l] Gibbs paradox

But I could not qualify as a physicist in any reasonable way, and so I
feel quite comfortable in saying that an ideal gas of distinguishable
particles does not fit my prejudiced perception of a possible entity,
so that I do not feel any obligation to attempt to understand the
development of a related thesis.

Hope this was a help? :-)

Yes. I believe you're saying it's hard to imagine a gas of distinguishable particles.

True enough for a gas composed of one mole of particles.

But now make it say 5000 atoms (I still need N large enough for Stirling to be valid and factors of 1 to be negligible) which you're simulating in a program. Since it's all classical, you're keeping track of each particle one by one.

What will your computer program calculate for the equilibrated entropy and why? Express your answer in terms of N,T,V.

Does this scenario make the situation more physically concrete? -Carl
--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363