Re: [Phys-l] radioactivity in the news -- actual measurements

On 3/29/2011 12:32 PM, Kyle Forinash wrote:
Thanks to all who pointed me to various sites which have actual data
about radioactivity coming from the reactors in Japan. /snip/
The best sources of information about radiation in Japan (based on the
previous emails seem to be):

/snip/

Site which has accident details, including exposure rates:
http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/fukushima_accident_inf129.html
Well! Look at that! Data on sources and power ratings.
I quote....

"The Fukushima Daiichi reactors are GE boiling water reactors (BWR) of an early (1960s) design supplied by GE and Toshiba, with what is known as a Mark I containment. Reactors 1-3 came into commercial operation 1971-75. Reactor power is 460 MWe for unit 1, 784 MWe for units 2-5, and 1100 MWe for unit 6. The fuel assemblies are about 4 m long, and there are 400 in unit 1, 548 in units 2-5, and 764 in unit 6. Each assembly has 60 fuel rods containing the uranium oxide fuel within zirconium alloy cladding. Unit 3 has a partial core of mixed-oxide (MOX) fuel (32 MOX assemblies, 516 LEU). They all operate normally at 286°C at core outlet and with about 485 kPa pressure in dry containment."

Hmmm... I noticed that a well-known American investor, Warren Buffett, took a decent share in GE as the threatened depression receded. He'll catch a cold, temporarily I suppose. But he always takes a long view.

Brian W