Re: [Phys-l] radioactivity in the news -- actual measurements

On 2011, Mar 28, , at 14:41, Bill Nettles wrote:

Without the fissioning of U, Pu would not result, therefore it is a
product of the fissioning -- even tho it's the result of neutron
absorption.

[Bill Nettles] I disagree with the first half. You could generate neutrons from a spallation process or other reaction [ Be-9 (alpha,n) C-12 or Li-7 (p,n) Be-7] and bombard a U-238 target to make Pu-239, so you don't have to have fission to make it. Also, you can have fission without having U-238 around and avoid making the Pu-239. Yes, while it is NOT a fission product, it is a by-product of having a fission chain reaction in the presence of U-238. You can make it without fission (very slowly).

I didn't think my statement implied the only method of "creating" neutrons. I though the NPR statement was in regard to fuel rods.

bc used a two Ci Be-Pu neutron source for neutron activation, inter alia.