Re: [Phys-l] power-plant policy

OK--but then the question becomes how to provide sufficient energy at a land use factor that works. Japan's main problem is the high population density and little land for most current 'green' technologies. The U.S. has the same problem in given regions--North-East corridor for example. Even somewhere like Chicago, if say a couple old coal (or because of age nuclear) plants are near the end of their effective use, with what do you replace them? Even if you are willing to inundate the countryside with wind generators (and you need a 3 MW generator to average 1 MW yearly output--so a couple thousand generators to equal one coal/nuclear plant), you still have the problem of what to do when the wind doesn't blow--something that happens often during the summer cooling season.

Basically the problem with CURRENT 'GREEN' TECHNOLOGY--is low density (large land requirements) and it is often NOT energy on demand. The solution here might include a new grid structure with low loss, long distance transmission lines, but must almost certainly include some kind of storage infrastructure. One possibility (maybe not economically viable yet) is using wind and solar, on site, to produce hydrogen which would be piped throughout the country as an energy on demand source. This does suffer from requiring a very large infrastructure expense--upgrading pipelines--and the losses involved in the conversion processes. What I can't see as viable is expecting power companies to invest in vast wind/solar farms and then also maintain a full array of coal/nuclear/natural gas plants that can be turned on when the wind isn't blowing. Economically--if I have the plants, I'm going to use them and (as now) supplement them wind a much smaller array of wind and solar.

So yes, better not to have coal. I guess, in the long run, better not to have nuclear. But where you really need high-density power production, what are the alternatives?

Then of course, if we really get serious about eliminating CO2 and fossil fuel usage, much of the current energy produced by oil and natural gas has to be taken up by electrical production. This could double, even triple the amount of electrical energy that would be needed (even factoring in achievable goals of efficiency and conservation). This complicates the picture even more.

[All this is the basis of my energy class yearly project--where we try to design a system for providing U.S. energy a century from now. We include some 'clean' coal (it will be very difficult for the U.S. to give up on coal) and some nuclear (newer technologies) but we eliminate the use of oil and natural gas and decrease per capita usage by 25%. The capital price tag for the conversion to wind/solar/biomass for about 60% or our energy regularly gets estimated at over $30 trillion.]

Rick

Richard W, Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556

FREE PHYSICS SOFTWARE
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/SOFTWARE.html
(server is currently down --actually dead-- hope to resurrect it this week)

.
-----Original Message----- From: John Denker
So we have one filthy and unsustainable industry competing against
another. A pox on both their houses. It's high time to choose a
different path.