Re: [Phys-l] Torque and wrenches

On 3/14/11 at 11:55 PM BC wrote:

On 2011, Mar 14, , at 15:57, trappe@physics.utexas.edu wrote:

Some of the early torque wrenches even had a pivoting handle so that
the point of application of the force was exact.

Knife edge?

bc had one which along w/ his dc non-insertion ammeters disappeared.

I still have my Sears Craftsman 1/2" beam-type torque wrench bought in the
late 70's. The handle of the wrench can pivot about the beam at a point
near the center of the handle. The pivot is provided by a hinged pin
through the handle and beam. By the way, it is calibrated in both English
and metric units.

At the time, I bought the wrench to work on my car (a '71 Plymouth Scamp
with a "slant" 6 cylinder engine) and was unsure whether to get the 3/8" or
1/2" drive model. I bought the larger unit and actually was able to reach
each and every one of the 6 spark plugs with ease! I wouldn't even bother
to try with our 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid. I can't even see all the spark
plugs in the 4 cylinder gasoline engine also provided in that car; let alone
use a 1/2" drive torque wrench on them.

Don

Dr. Donald Polvani
Adjunct Faculty, Physics