Re: [Phys-l] [tap-l] amazing instruments

No attachment to physical reality? Well, I would say yes and no. On one hand, getting a ball to follow a perfect trajectory time after time is tough, especially when it bounces from something that can vibrate or move. However, I remember visiting the Museum of Science and Industry when I was in high school (1960s) and seeing this type of thing in action. Several displays involved 1-inch ball bearings that were released onto sloped tracks. The tracks ended in midair and the balls would freefall onto substantial hard metal plates set at various angles. The balls would bounce from plate to plate, and after several bounces (like 5 to 8 bounces) around a circle or other pattern, the balls would pass through a hole not much larger than the ball, and the ball got recycled. I was mesmerized and watched these demos for a long time. The balls never missed, and I was amazed.

When I returned to the museum in around 1995 I looked for these to show my son and daughter, and the displays were no longer there. I was sad.

I also personally have seen water fountains in several places, including some amazing ones at Disneyworld, in which the water is pulsed out of a nozzle in a foot-long cylindrical shape. This arcs through the air and lands in a receptacle that triggers a burst from a new nozzle. That burst may go back to the original, to get a Ping-Pong effect, or it may go to a 3rd (and beyond) nozzle to create a pattern that eventually ends up back at the original nozzle to start another round. These are amazing to watch, and even work in a mild to moderate wind.

We've also seen real Rube-Goldberg-like machines that actually work, including the amazing "Cog" video from Honda. I understand that one didn't always work without a snag here or there, but still... it did work. I also have a DVD that I got from the Smithsonian Museum of Modern Art with a video called "The Way Things Go." This shows a long contraption set up by Peter Fischli and David Weiss. Although I have a video that could have been doctored, they have portions of their contraptions actually working and on display in galleries and museums throughout the world.

My point is, that even though the video originally described here is not reality, there are many instances of reality that appear impossible at first glance. I would not be too harsh on people who thought the "musical instrument" was real. Also, in case we physicists might tend to be overly skeptical about things that seem far out, remember the initial skepticism aimed at people like Boltzmann, Einstein, de Broglie, etc.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Chair, Division of Natural and Applied Sciences
Bluffton University
1 University Drive
Bluffton, OH 45817

419.358.3270 (office)