To: <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2011 9:08 PM
Subject: [Phys-l] amazing golf shot

A student sent me this clip of an incredible chip shot by Tiger Woods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1I55z-x6zc

The huge crowd cheered as the ball approached the hole, and the student
asked me if sound affected the ball near the cup. I had never seen this
clip before and had to watch it several times. It appears that the ball
always has momentum.

I am now wondering -- as my student did: If the ball really did stop
momentarily, could longitudinal sound vibrations from the nearby roaring
crowd shake the ground enough to slightly move the ball into the hole?