Re: [Phys-l] Has anyone used Knight's physics text?

Well, I used the text for 2 years -- first ed. We were at the beginning of our assessment work then, so I do have some data, and some anecdotal data:

1. the students HATED it. I mean flat out despised, to the point that some went out and found other books to use -- and these are TYC 'freshman' physics students!

2. I thought it tried to make physics sound a bit too "cookbook" but thought that at least the scores on problem sets would go up.

3. I was wrong! The scores on my conceptual understanding questions went DOWN, and then the scores on my problem sets (quizzes and tests) went DOWN.

I stopped using the book after those 2 years! I changed to

Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Ohanian and Maekert, Norton & Co. Publishers.

and the scores rebounded and went up over pre-Knight levels. The students have good things to say about the textbook in general, and I find it easier to match labs to lecture topics to be sure that the labs are reinforcing the lecture material. So, I can't recommend Knight's book at all -- sorry.

Peter Schoch
Sussex County Community College