Re: [Phys-l] Has anyone used Knight's physics text?

I'm sure there was a reason. The book is very detailed and is definitely not just thrown together. It's difficult to coordinate lecture and lab when material evolves over several chapters. Exams get messy as well. Also, the coordination with Mastering Physics sometimes doesn't work. The students are not ready to answer some questions because parts of the necessary concepts are in later chapters.

Knight's approach may work for many - it did not work for us.

Bob at PC

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Joseph Bellina [inquirybellina@comcast.net]
Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:24 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Has anyone used Knight's physics text?

Bob,
I've not used the book, but I wonder if there was some reason it was laid out that way. Did he have some sort of pedagogical agenda? I don't think any of us are wetted to the traditional structure, so perhaps the new structure had some advantage?

just wondering,

joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Retired Professor of Physics
Co-Director
Northern Indiana Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Collaborative
574-276-8294
inquirybellina@comcast.net