Re: [Phys-l] Social networking for educational use

On 2011, Feb 10, , at 10:42, Cynthia Retotar wrote:

I’d love to hear from anyone out there that has been using Facebook, Twitter, Google forms or any other methods to teach in the classroom. I am not leaning toward using Facebook or Twitter in my classroom at this time. My fear is that while the
students are on either Facebook or Twitter for educational purposes, they will be distracted by the hundreds of posts from their friends that have nothing to do with my class.

I highly recommend viewing the recently broadcast (last knight but one here in the Bays areas) of Front Line's Digital Nation. It deals w/ Harvard's (et alia) use of laptops in classes and spying on their users, the turn around of a "failed" ** school, whether multi-tasking is efficient, and, of course, much more.

bc watches too much TV, reads too many posts, ad became computer "literate" in 1962, and used a CPU operated MCA (output to an electric typewriter!) in 1964.

FRONTLINE: digital nation - life on the virtual frontier | PBS

** note the quotes.