Re: [Phys-l] Social networking for educational use

I don't use social networking in my classroom at all, but I can say that
social networking sites are blocked in NYC schools, and I would imagine many
if not most school districts either do the same thing, or are on their way
toward doing so. So, if you wanted to do anything involving Facebook, it
would have to be homework.

I am toying with the idea of students using twitter to summarize readings.
I was inspired by a public radio piece where I heard of someone tweeting
"book reports." It's fun trying to summarize, say, 1984 in 140 characters;
you have to pick your words carefully. For physics, it could be a good way
to get students to assemble information into a neat, complete package.

I've never seen any literature on this specific idea, but I've never even
attempted to look.

Mike

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Cynthia Retotar <