[Phys-l] atomic wavefunctions, spherical harmonics, multipole moments

In case anybody was wondering why I was fussing with
color wheels:

I just now put up an improved version of
http://www.av8n.com/physics/wavefunctions.htm

In particular, this section is hugely upgraded:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/wavefunctions.htm#sec-ylm

All in all, the document gives several ways of visualizing
wavefunctions, including hands-on demos as well as three
different kinds of online animations.

The task is a difficult one: We have a two-dimensional
ordinate (a complex number) as a function of a four-
dimensional abscissa (x,y,z,t). There is no way AFAIK
to visualize the whole thing at once, but I have amassed
a collection of ways of visualizing various parts of
the situation. If you understand each of the parts and
put them together in your mind, you can get a reasonably
complete picture of what's going on.

=====================

Also related:

I wrote a little proggy to calculate the multipole expansion
coefficients for some geometries representative of simple
molecules.

Some output is at:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/multipole-expansion.txt

The code is at
http://www.av8n.com/physics/multipole-expansion.c

The usage message says:

Calculate a few terms in the multipole expansion
aka multipole series
including monopole, dipole, quadrupole, octupole, and hexadecapole.

We use spherical harmonics (Ylm) to account for the angular dependence.
Then we account for the radial dependence.

We apply this to a few configurations with more-or-less
the same symmetry as certain simple molecules:
SO4 CO CO2 XeF4 BCl3 PF5 CF4 SF6

The output format is:
For each molecule there is a headline giving the name of
the molecule, followed by a stanza of results.
In each stanza there are (1+Lmax) lines, one for each L value.
On each line, there are 2L+1 entries, one for each M value.
Each entry is a complex number.
In the margin of each line there is a label giving the
multipole order, i.e. 2^L
with an asterisk if it is the /leading/ order,
i.e. if that line contains the lowest-order non-zero term.

For the examples considered here, all the entries have
zero imaginary part, but this is not true in general.
Example: Try re-orienting the CO dipole along the Y axis.

The inputs model the general shape of the molecule but /not/
its size, so the results are not normalized. This could be
fixed easily.

I looked at the results, and they seem plausible ... but this
has not undergone any review or any testing worthy of the name.