Re: [Phys-l] astronomy activities

A neat long term project (for ANY age group) is one of those transparent hemispherical domes that can be taped down in an out-of-way south facing window. A centerd dot represents the 'observer' location.

At the same time throughout the year one uses a 'sharpie' to locate and mark on the dome the spot that casts a shadow on the 'observer' dot. This traces out the analemma.

Two or three times could be used - but don't be confused by Daylight Savings shifts.

You don't need to 'explain' the curve in great detail - it just shows how 'interesting' this thing we call 'time' is in the astronomical realm.
.