Re: [Phys-l] Another problem Was: Re: real-world mechanics problem

The Preface begins thusly:

Too much mathematical rigor teaches rigor mortis:

.
At 3:03 PM -0800 2/9/11, Bernard Cleyet wrote:
On 2011, Feb 09, , at 13:14, Mike Viotti wrote:

I'm not sure if this has been linked on this forum or not, but Sanjoy
Mahajan wrote a neat book on estimation in physics and mathematical problem
solving called Street-Fighting Mathematics: The art of Educated Guessing and
Opportunistic Problem Solving. It is free in PDF form online, and chapter 3
looks, among other things, at analyzing a pendulum with non-small
oscillations. Here's the link for those interested:

http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/full_pdfs/Street-Fighting_Mathematics.pdf

It may have, because I've seen the title. It's very interesting -- must peruse.

Unfortunately it doesn't directly address my problems, but may supply (a) method(s).

bc