Re: [Phys-l] real-world mechanics problem

?BC,
Then you have answered your problem as stated in your original post:

*************
"Here's my prob. Using the kinematic equations for constant acceleration etc. I fond the formula for speed at BDC (and the work-energy principle)

X dot = sqrt.(g*L) A as a means of measuring the amplitude.

I obtain the same formula by using the total energy of the P. using 0.5(M L^2 * theta dot) and m*g*h h = L(1-cos(theta) and using E = PE at the max deflection (amplitude). However, and this is my prob. To obtain the same equation I must use the approximation cos =~ 1 - theta^2 / 2!"
*************
The equation X dot = sqrt.(g*L) A already has the small angle approximation {cos =~ 1 - theta^2 / 2} built into it.
So the exact equation will only match it if it (the exact equation) is also given the small angle approximation.

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
treborsci@verizon.net
http://mysite.verizon.net/res12merh/

No infections found in this outgoing message
Scanned by iolo System Shield®
http://www.iolo.com