Re: [Phys-l] NAEP scores are higher for students who took PHYSICS

Good tip.... I searched the NJ dept of edu website and searched for "NAEP schools".
No wonder I couldn't find anyone I knew whose school took the test. Out of 2400 + schools in the State in 590+ districts, only 300 schools in about 200 districts took the 2005 NAEP. (The schools volunteered to participate.)

Approx. 3200 seniors participated in the 2009 NAEP pilot program for seniors in the state along with 10 other states which volunteered for the pilot program. Statistics were reported recently about these seniors on a state-by-state basis. So, I wanted to see how many seniors graduated from the high schools here and discovered that in 2001 there were 71,000 seniors taking the SAT which was reportred as 82% of all seniors in NJ., which meant that approx. 86,500 seniors graduated in 2001. I didn't find more recent numbers, so let's use this as an example. Again, while this is a pilot program it seems insignificant that only approximately 3.7% of seniors took part. These were students who were chosen by their districts and accepted by the state doe. Nowhere did I find how these students were chosen.

I looked at the California list from the link Barbara sent and then went to the Cal. DOE site and searched NAEP schools. I found that in 2011, 270 districts and 1900 schools will take part in NAEP. In 2000-01 California had 8700 schools with 6 million students, representing over 1000 districts.

This whole international comparison seems to be blown way out of proportion. I have no idea how the students in either place were chosen to take this test, but the numbers hardly seem representative of the student population as a whole. How do we know if the seniors who took this test, particularly the ones who took physics, was a representative group of all those who took physics? There seem to be no statistics along those lines.

Marty

On Feb 2, 2011, at 1:51 PM, Barbara Murray wrote

Well here's a list of school districts in California.
http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/nr/naepschools2011.asp
I found it by googling "did redlands, CA schools administer NAEP" so you might try your school district.

Marty Weiss wrote:
where can I find a list of schools which have their students take the NAEP? or the PISA or the TIMMS for that matter ???