Re: [Phys-l] real-world problem

I see that Tom and Ray did fall for the COM-based solution,

http://www.cartalk.com/content/puzzler/transcripts/201103/answer.html

but I still doubt that any car company engineer would have gone that route. Interestingly, Tom and Ray were likely attracted to that solution precisely because they thought it elegantly illustrated some fundamental physics which is precisely NOT what it does.

I wrote to them, but I imagine others have already done the same.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona