Re: [Phys-l] real-world problem

On 2/1/2011 6:06 PM, John Mallinckrodt wrote:
brian whatcott wrote:

Those naughty entertainers describing a 40% radial mark when it is actually 40.4% ... :-)
Fair enough as far as that goes, but, of course, the difference Bob pointed to was one of principle and that difference isn't between 40.4 and 40; it is between 40.4 and 42.4.

John Mallinckrodt

Ah, it's a question of principle is it?
Then I have to say ?WRONG! to the idea of marking a dipstick at 42.4% of a radius of a fuel tank to represent a quarter volume.

Someone seems to have forgotten that the volume of the dipstick means that a HUGE correction to that 42.4% mark needs to be made, to obtain the desired result. My guess? A 0.002% error for a representative dipstick and tank. tut..tut! :-)

Brian W