From: Kyle Forinash <kforinas@ius.edu>
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Sent: Wed, February 2, 2011 10:07:05 AM
Subject: [Phys-l] General recommendations for physics books?

Hi

I made such a list a few years ago based on suggestions from this List
and other sources:

http://homepages.ius.edu/kforinas/ClassRefs/TextbookList.htm

kyle
------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 17:36:33 -0800 (PST)
From: curtis osterhoudt<flutzpah@yahoo.com>
To: Forum for Physics Educators<phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>

Dear all,

I'd love to hear what books, websites, videos, or sets of notes (probably
at
the college-to-beginning-graduate level) you might recommend for various
courses. Most books have arguments against them for everything they cover
[e.g.,
a very well-reviewed text (on Amazon) on general astronomy seems so out of
date
to me that it might as well have been from the 1700s, but it got a lot of the
basics right], but which ones would you have in your arsenal for main- and
supplementary-texts?

This is a remarkably broad topic. Many professors prefer to teach from a
set
of notes, and use texts only for illustrative purposes or for historical
notes.
I'd even love to hear about those.

* Algebra- or calculus-based introductory courses?
* Classical mechanics?
* Thermo/stat-mech?
* QM?
* Relativity and nuclear physics?
* E&M?
* Optics? Acoustics?
* Biophysics?
* Electronics?

* Fluid mechanics? Mathematical physics? Computational physics?

'Before you open your mouth, just remember,
the empty wagon rattles the loudest.'
-- my dad

kyle forinash 812-941-2039
kforinas@ius.edu