Re: [Phys-l] How Much Value is Added at Elite Institutions - Response to Haim #2

On 1/27/11 3:19 PM, William Robertson wrote:
Just jumping in here. What, exactly, is wrong with kicking out
students who are unruly or will not do the work? ("Cannot" do the work
is a different matter--I would guess that most schools and teachers
are willing to work with those who are also willing to work but have
deficient backgrounds.) Instead of calling this a dirty little secret
of charter and private schools, why not let public schools do the
same? Disruptive students aren't learning anything anyway, and they
are interfering with the learning of the rest of the students. Many of
us have seen videos of the chaotic atmosphere in some inner-city
schools. I'm sure the teachers in those classrooms would love to get
rid of the troublemakers and improve that atmosphere.

Bill