Re: [Phys-l] Will the US ever switch to the metric system?

This reminds me... there is a local "supermall" in my area, and the mini beltway that surrounds it (a mall road, not the main road) is posted throughout with 19kph signs. I have long wondered about the purpose of this speed. It's not rounded in the normal speed-limit sense (15 or 20). I next thought maybe they were misprinted with kph but 19mph doesn't make much sense either (and is rather fast anyway for that road). Then I thought maybe a mischievous student was in charge of manufacturing the mph signs and decided to convert to kph, but 11.8mph (or 12mph) also makes no sense. For common definitions of sense, anyway.

Perhaps it was just a mfg mistake and they decided to use them anyway to avoid additional costs. Or perhaps they saved .0000001% of the mall development cost when someone offered these particular signs from their "mistaken speed limit sign graveyard." My best theory is they meant 10mph, the student got a hold of it and converted to 16kph, but them accidently inverted the 6. A stretch if you ask me.

Anyone ever seen 19kph signs? Any ideas on why that speed?

Stefan Jeglinski