Re: [Phys-l] Will the US ever switch to the metric system?

I believe there is only one other country that is not metric. Not sure why
the US is defiant in this regard. I believe it was enacted into law many
years ago. All other countries in the world use the metric system, and it
is certainly more convenient. It sure would make our lives easier as
teachers. Maybe Americans are resistant to change, but who isn't? How/When
did other countries make the switch.?We claim to be a "leader" country,
yet we are so far behind when it comes to the metric system. Boggles my
mind.

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:

Having grown up in Canada, I remember the Gimli Glider incident -
tremendous piloting, to be sure. I am so fond of that story and the Mars
Climate Orbiter story that I reference them both in an intro. physics
book I wrote (but that's a whole other story).

The Gimli Glider happened during the time Canada was switching from
English units to the metric system - that was a huge factor in not
filling the plane with enough fuel.

So, do you think the US will ever give up the English system of units?
How many other countries, if any, are also still using the English
system? Converting the country to the metric system could be an economic
stimulus package all by itself, don't you think? All those new road
signs, etc. etc....

Anyone know John Boehner well enough to propose the idea?

- Andrew Duffy
Department of Physics
Boston University

Stefan Jeglinski said:

Ran across the story of the Gimli Glider, which in part seems at
least as impressive as the USAir flight that ditched in the Hudson.
Had never heard of it, due in part to changes in media coverage but
also how much I was really paying attn 27 years ago.

Came across the story after reading the story of the Mars Climate
Orbiter and its demise due to a similar variant.

Good time, at the beginning of the semester, to remind students of
the real-world ramifications (money + lives) of units and their
conversion!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter

Stefan Jeglinski