Re: [Phys-l] Global Evolution as fact

1) Thank you Brian B. I think that this analogy is very good, when the topic is discussed with those who already know about at least several "experimental facts" which are explained by "atomic theories." But to ancient greek philosophers, who invented the word "atom" the concept was nothing more than "just a theory." Much later the word atom started to be also used for real physical objects rather than to a product of imagination.

2) Controversies resulting from not distinguishing facts and theories are very common among social scientists, politicians and theologians. Here the situations are sometimes much worse than in physical sciences. How can one discuss rationally when certain words mean different things to different people? I am tempted to give examples but this would probably not be appropriate on the list. In some situations one word covers several different theories and several different sets of experimental facts. That is why people should agree on what they mean by essential words before using them in debates. Sometimes it might be useful to invent new words, or phrases.

3) And how can I miss an opportunity of mentioning the term "cold fusion"? Most of you know the story; if not then consult my website

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf

it is a diary reflecting my thinking about the ongoing controversy. Here is a very short summary:

a) Nuclear physics (both facts and theories), developed after 1911, became very successful. It gave as nuclear electricity and atomic bombs, carbon dating, cancer treatments, etc, etc. It also helped us in understanding of astronomy.

b) The term nuclear fusion was developed in the context thermonuclear reactions involving hydrogen isotopes. (Independent light nuclei, in hot plasma, fuse and thermal energy is generated. The process is consistent with Q.M., and with the E=m*c^2--a tiny amount of "fuel" produces a lot thermal energy.)

c) In 1989, Fleischmann and Pons (F&P) announced a discovery of a new fact--generation of thermal energy during electrolysis. They were chemists and they had no difficulties in convincing themselves that the amount of energy released was orders of magnitude larger than what could possibly be attributed to chemical substances present in the cell. (It was again a lot of thermal energy from a tiny amount of unrecognized fuel.) The process was given the unfortunate name-cold fusion (CF). The F stands for "fusion of atomic nuclei," as in thermonuclear reactions, while C stands for "cold," to emphasize that temperatures are not astronomically high.

Justified criticism of such interpretation--fusion at low temperatures is impossible due to electric repulsion of atomic nuclei--was taken seriously. Those who have continued studying new kind of nuclear processes, including those who replicated experimental results of F&P, do not think that
released energy results from collisions of individual nuclei, as in very hot plasma. But the term CF is still widely used. How can one discuss the subject when the term "cold fusion" means different things to different people. Some still think the CF involves collisions between individual atoms while other think that the process involves crystal structures (on metallic surfaces) made of millions of atoms. Instead of performing experiments, which should be essential at this stage, opponents keep speculating. If it was up to me I would name the field CMNS (Condensed Matter Nuclear Science), rather than CF. The importance of the "condensed matter," and of still unrecognized catalysts, was recently reemphasized (on a dedicated private website) by two of the leading CMNS researchers.

Ludwik