Re: [Phys-l] Types of scalars

1) From Vikipedia:
* Scalar (in Math) - a quantity used to multiply vectors...
* Scalar (in Phys) - a quantity which is independent of specific classes of
coordinate systems (= invariant, MF)
* Scalar (in Computing) - an atomic (?-MF) quantity that can hold only one
value at a time

2) From André Angot, Compléments de Mathématiques à l'usage des ingénieurs de
l'électrotechnique et des télécommunications,
6ème edition. Paris: Masson, 1972. 809 p. A
French classic during 1950-80:
"A quantity is called a scalar if it is (after the choice of unit of
measurement) specified by one number. One has to distinguish between pure
scalars and pseudo-scalars. A pure scalar is completely defined by one
number independent of choice of coordinate system (=invariant, MF)
(Ch. 3, Sec. 3.1)

3) From John David Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics, Third Edition, John
Wiley and Sons, New York, 1999, p. 550:
"A scalar (tensor of rank zero) is a single quantity whose value is not
changed by the transformation (=invariant, MF)"

I believe, anyone who is interested can find more.

Moses Fayngold,
NJIT