From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] on behalf of LaMontagne, Bob
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2011 4:40 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Coriolis effect puzzlement

The skater has another advantage - she can pull her arms in and see her rotation rate change relative to her surroundings.

You can also test your absolute rotation even if you cannot see the surroundings. I figure skate and can easily feel the difference when I pull my arms in when I am not spinning and when I pull them in after initiating a rotation. It requires deliberate force to bring them in if there is an initial rotation. It is obvious that I am supplying the energy for the faster rotation.

Bob at PC