Re: [Phys-l] Coriolis effect puzzlement

Consider a subsystem that is /closed/ with respect to momentum.
That is to say, there is no momentum flow across the boundary
of the subsystem. Equivalently, that means that for every force
within the subsystem, there is an equal and opposite force
*within* the subsystem.

More-or-less equivalently, we can restrict attention to a
subsystem where every torque takes the form of a /couple/ i.e.
two equal-and-opposite forces acting on the ends of a lever
arm.

For such a subsystem, there is a fundamental theorem that says
the torque around any pivot-point X1 is the same as the torque
around any other pivot-point X2. These points can be anywhere
in the universe, not necessarily within the boundary of the
subsystem.

More generally, the theorem says the torque about X1 is
equal to the torque about X2, plus a term involving the
amount of unbalanced force and the lever-arm between X1
and X2 ... but that is more than we need to know for
present purposes.

A skater stands way off center on a rotating ice rink, partaking only of the
platform motion, and holding weights in her outstretched hands.
If she brings in her arms, will she begin to spin about her platform
position?