Re: [Phys-l] Coriolis effect

One warning about fig. 13 - the pressure gradient force vector is a little longer than the Coriolis force vector - otherwise you won't get circular motion. The diagram does not show that - it almost implies the two vectors are of equal length. Also, the friction with the surface is not included (a vector opposite to the velocity). If you add the Coriolis force vector to the friction force vector, the sum will be in a direction opposite to the pressure gradient force vector - but of lower magnitude.

Bob at PC

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Mallinckrodt
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 12:55 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Coriolis effect

Anthony Lapinski wrote:

I think my confusion came from interpreting diagrams I see in books.
Air coming south (from the North Pole) will be deflected to the
right/west (clockwise). For hurricanes, I need to look at air moving
north from the fast-moving equator. Then the deflection will be to the
left/west (counterclockwise). I think this makes more sense now.

No, it doesn't. Again, the Coriolis force on things moving horizontally in the
northern hemisphere (including wind) is always "to the right". If the
explanations offered yesterday aren't clear enough, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect and especially the discussion
surrounding Figure 13.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona