Re: [Phys-l] definition of gravity

On 2011, Nov 08, , at 13:31, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

Okay, I confess that I was trolling with my first contribution this morning. But I got no bites, so I'll go ahead and reveal the 3rd question ...

I wrote:

You are in a rocket whose motors are producing precisely enough thrust to cause it to accelerate at 9.8 m/s^2. You are standing on a scale on the floor that reads the same weight that it does when used on the surface of the Earth.

Question 1: Does anyone have any qualms whatsoever about calling what you are experiencing a gravitational force that is every bit as "real" as any gravitational force can possibly be?

Question 2: Does anyone have any qualms whatsoever about saying that you find there to be a gravitational field of 9.8 N/kg directed toward the floor of the rocket?

Question 3: Does it affect your answer to either of Questions 1 or 2 to know that when you look out the window of the rocket you discover that you are merely hovering a few meters above the Earth's surface?

What is the second? order effect in this case (tidal)?

bc

I simply love this image and I think that careful consideration of the hovering rocket scenario is helpful in beginning to appreciate both the fact that the gravitational field is frame-dependent.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona