Re: [Phys-l] stagnant air?

On 10/20/2011 10:39 AM, Bill Nettles wrote:
Yesterday I observed a strange phenomenon on my LAMB-V (large angular momentum bi-wheeled vehicle), also known as a motorcycle, as I rode home in the cold following a drizzly day. I was watching the water droplets on my windscreen and surprised to see the droplets in the lower middle of the screen not moving at all, even at 50+ mph. I fully did not expect this because it indicates to me a stagnant zone on the front of the windscreen. When I got home I looked at the profile, and I think that the headlight sticks out enough that it “casts” a windstream upward far enough out from the windscreen so that the air might actually be still in the lower middle. If I’m really adventurous, I might create some tell-tales and stick them on the screen just to be sure that it wasn’t an extreme surface tension (it was about 45 F) effect.

Bill Nettles
Supposing that gravity still acts on your windshield, it's possible that an up force
due to airflow is balancing a down force due to gravity.

Brian W