Re: [Phys-l] Federally mandated homework

When I pay a delivery company to move a parcel from point A to
point B, I am not paying them in proportion to the time they
spend on the task. I am paying them for the result. Surely
there is some time required, but slower is not better.

Handel wrote his /Messiah/ in 24 days. There are plenty of people
(including me) who could spend 2,400 days writing an oratorio and
not produce anything of comparable value ... let alone 100 times
the value.

That is something of an extreme example, but I have seen innumerable
less-extreme examples in my own life, up close and personal. I have
hired lots of engineers, and paid them out of my own pocket, which
makes me acutely sensitive to issues of productivity and value. When
I need a widget designed, it is quite common to find that one engineer
can design it tenfold more quickly -- and better -- than another.

Most colleges provide a "reading center" that helps students to
increase their reading speed and reading comprehension. This
allows students to do their homework with less "time on task".
Slower is not better.

In short, I totally reject the Marxist "labor theory of value".