Re: [Phys-l] Federally mandated homework

On 11/03/2011 10:10 AM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:
Our department will have no problem complying because we use
electronic homework and monitor the students homework effort.

Wow. I'm impressed. You can monitor /effort/?

I've seen (and used) systems that can measure the infamous
"time on task" ... but I'm surprised and awestruck to learn
of a system that can measure /effort/.

Since /effort/ is evidently what's important, I suppose you
have to be careful not to assign any "Aha" problems, such
as the famous bridge problem,
http://www.av8n.com/physics/img48/bridge.png
where clever students might find an _effortless_ way to
solve it (even though other students only find the
exceedingly laborious way).

There is an important difference between time and effort.
If only time is being measured, the students -- unless they
are exceptionally stupid -- will figure that out. They can
log into the homework system in window #1, and then watch
reruns of "Maury" in window #2. Every so often they click
to the next page in window #1.

To prevent that, it is important to measure /effort/ not
merely time. A system to measure /effort/ is quite an
impressive accomplishment. Please tell us how you do
that!