From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Rauber, Joel
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2011 2:09 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Federally mandated homework

I may be wrong but I don't believe a word of it.

There exists a rule-of-thumb which I hear from many sources which suggests that 2-hours of work out-side of class (not necessarily assigned homework) is appropriate for every classroom hour. Our student success office tells students this; but I wish they would just as loudly say that results will differ; some students in some classes need to spend 3 or 4 hours working on the material at home for every hour of class. I know I did something closer to a 4:1 ratio for my introductory physics class. (Of course, I wasn't going to settle for anything less than an A and I had an old-school professor; who was quite good I might add.)

If one looks in the archives, you'll a couple good posts from Mike Edminston on the subject.

Joel

Joel Rauber, Ph.D
Professor and Head of Physics
Department of Physics