Re: [Phys-l] the first law of motion

Me? I would not * - I think it is very misleading. I was commenting on the posts. One suggested "a body in motion TENDS to stay in motion"; one suggested instead "a body in motion WILL stay in motion". The latter clearly contradicts common experience in my part of the Universe, where net external forces acting on bodies in motion are not infrequent.

Keith

(*not give the condition under which it's not true)

On Nov 3, 2011, at 7:29 AM, Dr. Keith S. Taber wrote:

Hm, I'm missing the unless...

> "a body in motion TENDS to stay in motion"

actually seems better to me than

> "a body in motion WILL stay in motion"

if the latter is not followed by an unless...

If you are NOT going to give the conditions, then 'tends' is actually
more accurate.

Keith

Howdy,

Why would you ever not give the condition under which it's not true. I always used ``constant rectilinear motion'' and also stated that meant a ``fixed speed in a fixed direction,'' i.e., constant velocity. I usually stated that the First Law concerned the motion of objects when there are NO forces acting on it and the Second Law was about the motion of objects when Forces act on the object. My emphasis with the Third Law was that Action-Reaction pairs NEVER act on the same object (A applies a force ON B the B MUST apply and equal and opposite force ON A).

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Dr. Keith S. Taber

Editor: Chemistry Education Research and Practice
(Published by the Royal Society of Chemistry)
http://www.rsc.org/publishing/journals/rp/about.asp

Book Reviews Editor: Studies in Science Education
http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/03057267.asp

Senior Lecturer in Science Education
Science Education Centre
University of Cambridge Faculty of Education
184 Hills Road
Cambridge CB2 8PQ
United Kingdom
http://www.educ.cam.ac.uk/staff/taber.html