Re: [Phys-l] TV technology, the World Series and physics

It might be interesting if football stadiums DID vary. Teams could choose how long to make their "yard". Or how wide to make the field. Or to have the "yards" get longer as you approach the end zones or even one end zone and not the other -- make that coin toss mean something! As long as both teams play on the same field for two halfs, I don't think this would be unfailr. (Never gonna happen, I know, but still...)
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] on behalf of Anthony Lapinski [Anthony_Lapinski@pds.org]
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2011 10:48 PM
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] TV technology, the World Series and physics

Golf is in a category all by itself, so that is not a good comparison is.
Again, football stadiums are all the same size (100 yards), and so
baseball stadiums also should be, And one doesn't have to follow a game
every day to understand a game. The basic fact is that it is easier to hit
a home run in a smaller park. So at least change what can be changed --
the park size. Other factors (weather) are much more difficult to control,
unless all stadiums are enclosed. That's a whole other issue. I'm simply
talking about the basic dimensions of the playing field, and nothing else.

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
This thread reminds me of an episode of "Big Bang Theory"... there, an
apartment full of sheltered physics majors and professors discussing
women... here, a bunch of physicists, most of whom don't even follow the
game, dissecting baseball, as if it were an experiment at CERN.

Build identical baseball stadiums? as absurd as designing identical golf
courses or enclosing Lambeau Field (Green Bay) so December conditions are
the same as Sun Life Stadium (Miami).... doesn't make any difference that
each has 100 yards if you can't throw the football because the wind and
snow blinds the receivers. In many ways, playing in the snow is more
exciting and demonstrates more athleticism than in a domed stadium at a
perfect 72 degrees.

If you want to make every stadium into a controlled experiment you ruin
the essence of the game... athletes must perform under varying
conditions, golfers must perform on Pebble Beach as well as on Augusta.
Ball players must perform as well in the windy city in April as in
Arizona in the summer.