Re: [Phys-l] TV technology, the World Series and physics

This thread reminds me of an episode of "Big Bang Theory"... there, an apartment full of sheltered physics majors and professors discussing women... here, a bunch of physicists, most of whom don't even follow the game, dissecting baseball, as if it were an experiment at CERN.

Build identical baseball stadiums? as absurd as designing identical golf courses or enclosing Lambeau Field (Green Bay) so December conditions are the same as Sun Life Stadium (Miami).... doesn't make any difference that each has 100 yards if you can't throw the football because the wind and snow blinds the receivers. In many ways, playing in the snow is more exciting and demonstrates more athleticism than in a domed stadium at a perfect 72 degrees.

If you want to make every stadium into a controlled experiment you ruin the essence of the game... athletes must perform under varying conditions, golfers must perform on Pebble Beach as well as on Augusta. Ball players must perform as well in the windy city in April as in Arizona in the summer.