Re: [Phys-l] States of matter?

On 10/13/2011 08:04 AM, David Bowman wrote:
Not to mention spin glasses, nuclear matter and quark matter. The
electron-degenerate carbon/oxygen material in white dwarfs probably
ought to be considered as its own distinct phase.

Now those are some fun examples. What about a neutron star?
Or do you just consider that a really high-mass nucleus?

===================

While we are all pointing out ways in which "solid liquid gas"
might be too few categories, somebody ought to point out that
it might be too many:

Above the critical point, gas is indistinguishable from liquid.
The word fluid is used to describe this state.

Of course the words gas and liquid remain useful ... because
they /sometimes/ match reality.

This illustrates two points:
-- I think that people should be allowed to define things
however they like, according to their best judgment.
-- On the other hand, definitions have consequences. If
you define things in a way that does not match reality,
that counts as bad judgment.